Monday, July 10, 2006

Borders are on

I finally got those pants done and in the mail on their way interstate, so today I managed to finish the borders on my quilt top. I had to go back to the shop to get some more of the fabric I used for the sashing, as I decided I wanted another border in the same material. Fortunately they had a little left!


I also chose the backing fabric (a cute patterned flannel) and the wadding. I went for a wool/poly blend, as it's machine washable :)

I am so pleased the quilt top is just about finished. I just have to embroider the kimono ladies and also put in a couple of stitches around the borders where the bobbin skipped. Do any of you lovely ladies have any suggestions as to what could be causing my bobbin thread to skip? It's happening when I'm sewing long distances without stopping (ie the borders), with only two layers of fabric. I can't see any reason why it would skip, other than the bobbin being wound loosely, which, I understand is a common problem for Janome users. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

I hope to get my quilt 'sandwiched' tomorrow. Then I can actually start quilting. I won't bore you with progress photos though. :)

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Your quilt is looking just beautiful. Usually skipped stitches mean tension problems but I have no experience with Janome. I have a Husqvarna and a Pfaff.

Judy said...

It's just gorgeous Lily! You did such a wonderful job...and I won't even say for your first quilt because it's a wonderful job PERIOD!! It looks nothing like a first quilt!

I think it might be the bobbin. They do sell, I think, seperate bobbin winders, or maybe you can hold the thread taut before it winds so it gets an even tautness around the bobbin when it winds. That's the only thing I can think. I use a Bernina.

Unknown said...

A lovely, lovely quilt top Lily - I love that flowered border fabric

Unknown said...

Hi Lily,
I love your quilt it is a beauty, I'm jealous I think you need to send it to me....:-) I can't wait to see your quilting I know it will compliment your top....I have a Janome 4800 and the skiping is usually your bobbin thread being to loose when your winding it be sure you are holding the top thread tightly and wind it on the highest speed. If that doesn't work check your tension but I haven't had any problems with that.....I love my Janome it is wonderful best investment I ever made...Hugs tina

Finn said...

It looks wonderful Lily, you did a great job!