Monday, January 03, 2011

Getting a head start

Well, this quilt was *supposed* to be finished in time for the Christmas just past. I made it so far as cutting the circles, pot and star shapes! Gifted to me by the very generous Helen, the pattern, called 'Christmas Baubles', is by Audrey and Maude.

I am *determined* to have this wallhanging finished for Christmas 2011, so I have made a good start. All the shapes are now machine appliqued after being fused to the top. I just have another dozen or so ends to tie in at the back before attaching the two borders and assembling for quilting.This quilt will be entirely handquilted in white perle thread - it's going to be my hand project for 2011. Any of you attending Sew it Together in Sydney in March will see me working on it then!

Today, however, there will be no sewing - I'm off to work (it's a public holiday here so no one else will be there) to do some study. I have fallen far behind on my literature review for my research project, so I'm devoting the next four days to it. Hopefully I will have cracked the back of it by Thursday afternoon because January is going to be such a busy month - I have two work trips (and counting), one to far north tropical Queensland (ouch the humidity) and one to deepest darkest Scandinavia (I really must do better planning!). Not to mention many new starters to induct and a whole bunch of work waiting for me to get cracking!