Sunday, July 19, 2009

A quilty finish - for Robina

Only six weeks later than I'd hoped! Ah well, I'm sure it will be appreciated by Robina, who has been a professional seamstress for 60 years - fortunately she is no quilter, so I don't feel afraid that my standards won't bear up under her scrutinising!It's a lap quilt (37" x 40") made it to help celebrate her 80th birthday and made to match the table runner I made for her for Christmas. It's a Denyse Schmidt pattern (Hop, Skip and a Jump) from Denyse Schmidt Quilting - you've seen it on my blog before - it's been a favourite! The fabric is mostly Moda Porcelain. I quilted wavy lines in King Tut variegated blue thread and the quilt includes my first attempt at piping in the binding. It is a bit wonky, but I'm hoping that people will think it intentional to meet the wonky strippy piecing! Lesson learned: don't do piping unless you are 100% sure your edges are straight and that you can sew straight. Apparently they weren't/I can't! (Sorry about the appalling photography - it was late in the day and the light levels were not good.)It's nice to get this finished. Uni starts back this week so my crafting time will be reduced, although Romily has two long sessions at playschool this term, which might help my productivity levels!

[Edited with improved photos! They're still not great, but are better.]

6 comments:

Joyce said...

Very nice. I love piping and after many many experiments have discovered a couple of things about applying it. First, get an actual piping foot for your machine. It has a little slot for the thick part of the piping so you can sew right up to it. Second, don't try to do it all in one step. Sew the piping to one piece and then re-do it sewing the second piece on. Piping looks so cute on kids clothes that it's worth getting the foot to make it look perfect.

Little Munchkins said...

I love the quilt! I like the wavy quilting too - might have to try that next time.

Helen said...

Its one of my favs that you do too Lily. Lovely!

DHB said...

Beautiful Quilt and cute blog. Found you via the Flickr group for DS patterns.

I've got a little one on the way. Would this pattern make for a good first quilt?

Unknown said...

This is lovely - so elegant with the soft colour mix and why wouldn't you put wiggly piping on to match the wiggly quilting - surely that was deliberate :o)))

Lily Mulholland said...

DHB you are set to 'no reply' so I can't respond directly. The answer is no, as all the pieces in the blocks have at least one curved edge. Go for a Chinese Coins stacked quilt instead :)