Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm a little teapot part two


I just realised I forgot to post a picture or two of the finished teapot 'trivet' I made for my FIL's companion for Christmas.

She was thrilled to bits to receive it (even though it was a leedle bit late!). Poor thing still hasn't had the operation to remove her gallstones, although she's on the countdown now, as she has a date of mid-March. Fingers crossed she gets the medical attention she needs without any more delay.


Anyway, as you can see, I handquilted the whole thing, and used Perle 8 cotton for the first time. Boy that was a challenge to get through all the layers, seams and try to maintain stitch length. Thankfully the quilt police won't be looking at the back of it!


Didn't remember to measure it either, although it's around 20" by 13". Turns out Robina has a modern, funky white teapot, so the trivet and teapot are in pride of place on her kitchen bar. (That is not her teapot above - it's one of mine!)

----------------------

Thanks for all the quilt love on my first attempt at abstract. It was lots of fun! I was also finally inspired and motivated to join the Canberra Quilters - my first meeting will be on 6 March. Debating over whether I will take anything for show and tell! Probably not, as I've given all my quilty stuff away apart from the sampler quilt I made for Rom's bed and the unfinished landscape. Doubt it will be finished by then, as I have a disappearing 9-patch cot quilt to start and finish by then! Maybe that will be finished and I can take that! We'll see.

8 comments:

Duyvken said...

that's fantastic, Lily! I love the colours you chose and the quilting looks great.

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a great idea - I have some lovely fabric with teapots on it - perhaps I'll do the same thing.

Lovely hand quilting!

Hedgehog said...

Just love your teapot, Lily!

Patti said...

The teapot trivit is wonderful! What a special thing to make for her. I hope you enjoy belonging to the guild - it's so much fun to make lots of new quilty friends.

Sandy's Quilter's Block said...

The trivet looks great! OK, time to make a quilt just for you! ;o)

Simonetta said...

Very beautiful!!! Good! And the photos of Romy are tender!!!!!

Nettie said...

The steam coming out of the teapot is so effective. Your crayon roll is such a great idea. I found the Disappearing Nine-Patch went like lightening.

Tonya Ricucci said...

This came out so fabulously. I love your quilting - who cares about the back?!!!