Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fabric for animal friends

I went fabric shopping on the weekend, for the little softies I'll be making over the coming weeks. I didn't buy 'proper' quilting cotton, but the next grade down, which is much cheaper (obviously). I'm pretty confident it'll be just fine for this project though - and I loved the colours and variations. I'm making five kitty/bunny/bears, so it should be fun mixing and matching the colours/patterns. Should be!


I thought I'd also post a couple of photos of my increasingly wacky daughter, who is now firmly a Vegemite lover. (For those of you who don't know what Vegemite is, it's an 'Australian delicacy' - a condiment/spread you can put on toast - it's savoury and a very little goes a long way. Not many non-Australians are fans, but most Aussies are raised on it! It's made from yeast extract, among other things, and is chock full of Vitamin B. A bit like Promite or Marmite, but not at all sweet. You can see from her cheeks that she's pretty keen!

(Gotta love those blue peepers!)

I dropped Wonky Geese around to baby Campbell on Sunday. My friends just loved it, so I'm very pleased I made it for them! Campbell promptly had a little milk spew on the quilt, which horrified his parents, but made me giggle. I told them that it was his now, and he could do what he liked with it. His mum looked very relieved when I told her the quilt is machine washable!

I got a little bit clucky (again) today, when I went to visit my friend, who's in hospital with her brand new, one-day-old gorgeous little bundle of joy Molly. She is so sweet and I had a cuddle for about 20 minutes. Heaven! No quilt for Molly though - my friend is a bit short of $$$ right now, so I opted for baby clothes instead. Molly will also get one of the softies. I did have fun buying baby clothes again - they're so little and gorgeous.

I'm off to Melbourne yet again tomorrow and Friday for work. Then overnighting with my parents on Friday night and back to Canberra on Saturday. Little wonder I'm so tired all the time. My doctor is sending me for a battery of blood tests next week to see what's going on with me - I haven't been quite right since I had food poisoning/gastro at Christmas time, so he suspects Glandular Fever (mononucleosis) post-viral fatigue. Ah well, who knows what it is - hopefully I'll start to feel 'myself' again some time soon!

7 comments:

Clare said...

I love those colours. Can't wait to see the end results.

Funny about Romy liking Vegemite. Alex can't stand Marmite, but I adore it. Oh and Marmite isn't sweet!

Joyce said...

You fabrics are gorgeous. I have tried Vegemite when I was in Australia. I think you have to be Australian! Hope you get positive results from the doctor and that you are feeling well soon.

Doodlebug Gail said...

What gorgeous colours - those little softies are going to be so cute.

Love the vegemite face (and those gorgeous blue eyes)! I'm originally from South Africa and we love OXO spread - my kids grew up on OXO spread. I have a photo of my Sweetie Pie with an OXO toast covered face. I'll have to dig it out and share it. We can buy regular Marmite here in Canada, but they still prefer OXO .... guess what visitors always need to bring along?

Doodlebug Gail said...

Forgot to say .... hope that your blood tests show nothing too serious and that you get your usual level of energy back real soon.

Hugs, Gail

Dianne said...

Wow, those colors are great, Lily. I'm sure you'll have fun playing with them!

And isn't Romily a sweet little vegemite? I'm a convert, but only in very small doses.

Hope all goes well with your tests. Sounds like your busy lifestyle may be making things worse!

Judy said...

I've bought loads of those Fat Quarters and they are just fine! When I made my great nephews quilt I told my neice it was for him to drag around...mud, rain, whatever!

Unknown said...

Lovely fabrics - looking forward to seeing them morph into creatures - your little minx will be good and healthy all those 'B' vitamins in the vegemite - I think it is pretty similar to Marmite, I love that on toast before you add the cheese and grill it. Hope your blood tests show nothing horrid - maybe you need some vegemite and other vits and minerals to pick you up - mind you working and coping with a toddler is enough to exhaust anyone, but best to have it checked out