Sunday, September 10, 2006

Steve Irwin & Peter Brock

Two Aussie legends died this week.

Steve Irwin - better known to many Americans than Australians - died on Monday while snorkelling during filming of a new television documentary for a show to be hosted by his 8-year-old daughter Bindi. He was stung by a stingray and died almost instantly. Read more about it here.

I wasn't a huge fan of Steve Irwin, but freely confess that I thought he was great at what he did and was a genuine family man. It's very sad for his wife Terri and his two kids. Son Bob is not that much older than Romily.

But I was a huge fan of Peter Brock - a legend of Australian motor sport. I watched Brocky win the Bathurst 1000 V8 supercar race more times than I remember - as quite a young girl. I used to sit there on the couch with my Dad and brothers watching those cars zooming around the track - I've even driven that track in a hire car when I was in Bathurst on a course one time!

Brocky was 61 and had had a good innings - but it was such a shock to hear he'd died in a car accident during a rally - he'd done similar races thousands of times.

Two of Australia's most famous men dead in one week. What a shock.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lily, it is so sad about both guys, life is so short
and we never know what is going to happen. So we should
take care of others, love , laugh and smile...for as long as were
here...Huggles Tina