Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A new baby!

It's not me! No, despite being not a little clucky, it's not me that's pregnant, but my good friend Di. She's having her second and it's arriving on 26 October - a month from today! It's very exciting. I say 'arriving on 26 October' because that's when the c/section is planned. Di had a very difficult labour last time and her obstetrician recommended not risking anything this time and going straight to the caesar option. I think that's wise.

And exciting! She doesn't know whether it's a boy or a girl - she's got a lot more willpower than me - I didn't find out with Romily because I wanted a surprise, but with baby #2 I will definitely find out. There's too much to plan!!

Anyway, I have decided to make a quilt for Di's baby #2. And since I don't know whether it's going to be a boy or girl, I chose some beautiful gender-neutral brights: lime. aqua and yellow. I got a mix of plain (with a bit of texture) and patterns - I learnt a good lesson there with Romy's quilt project - you can have too many patterns!

I'm just going to do simple four-patch blocks and no sashing, interspersed with block-sized feature fabrics - especially the cats - I'll bind it in either blue or pink - once I know whether she's had a boy or a girl.


I'm hoping to finish it in about six weeks - I know that's slow compared to some quilters, but I don't get all that much time to quilt!

-----------------------------------------

And thank you for all your lovely and encouraging comments. I am enjoying quilting Romy's quilt. I just wish that I'd been able to finish it in time for her to use this year. But with the weather heating up, it'll have to go into the cupboard until next year - fortunately she'll still be in her cot next winter!!

8 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Beautiful fabrics! Can't wait to see it evolve!

Anonymous said...

Lily, I simply love the quilt with the tree...beautiful
Thanks for taking the time to share. I know this will be a quilt you will always be proud of even if it isn't as 'perfect' as you think it should be (:
Paula

Unknown said...

Those cats are adorable and I love the fabric with the aqua swirling waves - it will be a lovely gift for her and the babe

Anonymous said...

That is going to be so cute when it's done! Can't wait to see it.

Beth
http://bethknits.blogspot.com/

Texan said...

Baby quilts are so fun! Your fabrics will make up into such a cute quilt,they are adorable fabrics!!! Can't wait to see it!

Lizzy1263 said...

I think you do a fine job, it really doesnt matter how fast you go...I am the slowest person on the earth as far as quilting goes. Im working on 3 different ones and its a slow boat....I think they are beautiful and the material you picked for your friend's quilt is great.

mommi

Frances said...

Can't wait to see it. Starting a project is so exciting - all that possibility.

Anonymous said...

The fabrics you have chosen will make a wonderful quilt for your friend's baby! We didn't find out about any of our six - we wanted a surprise every time and it came out pretty good, girl-boy-girl-boy-girl-boy :-)