Saturday, June 27, 2009

What a week

It has been a pretty lousy week. Late on Wednesday afternoon Tristan managed to pull two heavy pictures down upon himself - one minute he was where I thought he was, I got distracted by Romily, and the next moment - CRASH! Poor thing had his fingers jammed under the pictures and he ripped them out before I could get to him. He nearly ripped his fingernail off one finger and there was a lot of blood. I managed to get a tissue onto it and compress the finger with one hand while racing upstairs with him to give him a dose of paracetamol. He calmed down pretty quickly and a breastfeed made things a bit better. I put a bandaid on, which, of course, he pulled off several hours later. But it did stop the bleeding. What a terrible thing to happen to a little bubba (of course, being a boy, this is, no doubt, the first of many such accidents!)

I woke up Thursday morning with a splitting headache - not a good omen. Then when Romily was at Gymbaroo, Tristan came down with a high fever. As it was all happening, Carl arrived to take over parenting duties so I could dash off to uni to sit my exam. We gave Tristan a dose of paracetamol and hoped he would be okay. We weren't sure whether it was a fever or whether his finger may have become infected. I went off to the exam with a heavy heart and a heavy conscience, trying to put a miserable baby out of my mind and concentrate on the task at hand. Despite my headache growing steadily worse, I managed to answer the required four essay-style answers. I have no idea how I went - 2.5 hours of mad scribbling does your head in!

Tristan was still not himself when I got home, but seemed a bit better. I fed him some dinner, but it all came back up just as I was giving him the last spoonful. I got him into bed and asleep and was also in bed myself by 8pm, hoping that a few extra hours of sleep would see my headache disappear. Of course this was not to be. Tristan had a dreadful night, with a head full of mucous, waking every hour from 8pm through to dawn. He spent half the night in my bed, tossing and turning. Carl and I got very little sleep.

I woke up Friday with my brain still in the vicelike grip of this headache (I still have the residual headache as I type), but with a baby who seemed much happier. As we had tickets to Justine Clarke, off we headed. Tristan was fine until about 15 minutes before the end, at which point he became unconsolable except when I was standing up and rocking him back and forth - thank goodness our seats were in the very back row! I got the kids home and tried to get Tristan to sleep, but he just would not go to sleep. Back in the car, we headed off to the clinic and after a 40 minute wait (this was very quick!) we got in to see one of the docs. He had a look down Tristan's throat - would you believe it? Tonsillitits on top of a head cold! No wonder he wasn't happy.

A prescription of antibiotics later and we headed home. He had a much better night last night (despite a big spew in my bed after a feed) and is considerably happier today. He's mercifully asleep again and breathing much easier. Let's hope those ABs work their magic nice and quick!


Thankfully some nice things also happened during the week! I ordered three (yes three!) birthday presents for myself and they all arrived within days of each other.

A new thimble for handquilting - inspired by this post from Jan @ Be*mused. I bought it from The Scissorman.The official McTavishing bible. I hadn't heard of this until Emma showed off her version. Can't wait to try some of this. It will be much better than my straight line quilting!And 'Story' by Hollywood screenwriting genius Robert McKee. I couldn't get to one of his last ever seminars run this weekend in Australia (he's retiring), so this is the next best thing. It will be a great read, although it will have to wait, as I have many other books already in the queue!I am very glad I treated myself. Turns out I really needed a lift after what's been a very trying week.


One more thing. I was saddened to hear of Michael Jackson's death, but at the same time I felt a bit relieved. What a tortured life his became after such bright beginnings. Makes me all the more determined to help my children enjoy their childhood. It's so important that they be allowed to be children.


Duyvken said...

What a week!
I am glad that Tristan is feeling a little better.
Did you hear Robert McKee on ABC local radio during the week? I loved the interview.
I've never heard of mctavishing but I am going to goole it now, sounds interesting!

Emma said...

Hey! My copy of the book hasn't arrived yet!

Joyce said...

You poor thing! I hope your next week goes much better and that you did well on the exam.

Karen said...

Oh Lily, poor you - what a week!
Sorry to hear Tristan has been so unwell - it's awful when little ones are sick.
I hope you passed the exam and that your headache eases soon.
Take care.

Natalie said...

Wow what a week you've had! Sorry to hear that Tristan's been in the wars, hope he is feeling much better soon - I'm sure you did fabulously on you exam too!

nicolette said...

I already feel exhausted after reading your post, so you must have been!

Hope you will all be heading towards a quiet, easy, peaceful week!

And yes, children definitely need to be allowed to be children!

Kylie said...

What a week - sounds like yo uneed a hug - I hope that you are able to have a rest soon and get some seing done. Enjoy your birthday presents.

Clare said...

What a rotten week. Hope things are getting better.

Couldn't agree with you more about Michael Jackson.

Helen said...

Oh Lily what a crappy week! Poor T. :( Great news on finishing your exam though and lots of lovely pressies to cheer yourself up.

Louise said...

Oh ouch! Poor little Tristan! My bub ran into the edge of the table last week and cut his lip, it must be a boy thing!

Gosh I remember those exams, I used to get to the end of the second essay and think that another two essays still to come was just torture ;)