Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sneak peek - FSQS

As Anne pointed out, my strawberries and cream quilt for the Four Seasons swap is good timing - Wimbledon starts tomorrow :) I've made quite a bit of progress and have now completed the centre of the top. Two borders to go on and it'll be ready for sandwiching.
Here's the sketch I made of it before I began - I knew I'd need a 'map' to ensure those QSTs were all facing the right way and that I'd get the colour placement right. It sure came in handy - only one QST was sewn the wrong way - that's good for me! I'm also pretty pleased with my piecing. Most of my points actually match. Not that I get too carried away about these things, but this is the most intricate piecing I've done, so it was nice that it turned out pretty well.(Sorry about the photo quality - it was late when I snapped this pic. I'll get some proper shots when the quilt is finished.)

We have had a reasonable weekend - after discovering during the week that I actually have five weeks at work left, not the four that I thought *groan*. Carl and I took Romily down to the lake yesterday after lunch out at a cafe and she had a great time chasing ducks (and then being followed by them and a couple of swans hoping she had food) and playing on a 'castle' playground. We were both tuckered out after that and had sleeps - mine for two hours and hers for over three! Last night I got cracking on the QSTs and got all 81 of them pieced.

Unfortunately, my big plans for today fell by the wayside as I woke up feeling dreadful. Hot flushes, feeling faint, just revolting. I took it really easy, spent most of the morning horizontal and came good by about 3 o'clock, so got out the sewing machine and joined all the blocks together.

I'm taking a day of leave on Friday, so another short week at work for me this week. I'm hoping to get the borders on and Strawberries & Cream sandwiched by the weekend. With luck, I might get it quilted and out the door early next week. Here's hoping!

I'm keen to get the Hungry Caterpillar quilts started and I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Carol Doaks book on foundation piecing (it comes with a DVD so you can print out the blocks), as well as bought a box of papers that will go through my printer. While browsing a 2nd hand bookshop yesterday (between lunch and the park), I also found this book. What a bargain at $6! So, I am all hot to trot on foundation piecing. Wish me luck!

What I learned about quilting today: While QSTs look great, there's a lot of bulk with all the abutting seams!

10 comments:

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a pretty quilt ..... and about Foundation Piecing - you'll love the sharp points it gives even if it does take a little practise to get the pieces in the correct places. Take care of yourself and don't over do anything. Sorry about that extra week of work ....

Anonymous said...

Strawberries and cream looks great and I admire you for doing the sketch. I usually miss out on those sort of vital steps.

What are you going to do with the Very hungry Caterpillar? Do you have a pattern or are you making it up. I have had the material for a while, the panel and some yardage of all the things he eats.
As a former teacher librarian who loved picture story books I just had to buy that as soon as I saw it.
Now I keep forgetting to see if I have the book or not. It is available in Safeway for about $14

Emma said...

Absolutely beautiful, and those prints just scream strawberries and cream - I want some NOW! Your recipient should be very happy!

True Debreuil said...

You did a wonderful job on the Strawberries and Cream. I have tried paper piecing but it's just not for me. I'll be watching how you get on with it.

Chookyblue...... said...

that is a pretty quilt.......take care of yourself............

Leah said...

I agree - your quilt looks so pretty already!

Patti said...

The quilt is just lovely. I love the value progression as thhe eye travels across the quilt. One would never know that you've been quilting such a very short time.

Unknown said...

I really like the way the depth of colour wanes across the quilt - but all those QST's are you mad woman???

Helen said...

Very very pretty Lily! You have more paitence than me! Looks great!

floribunda said...

Oh how pretty! where's my spoon?